i've always wanted to wear red lipstick.

1.17.2010

fear and compromise have always gotten the best of me when it comes to wearing red lipstick.

"it's too garrish."

"it's too bold."

"it's too RAAAAAWR!"

"it's too . . red."

but friends, the season of change is upon me. on friday, i marched myself right into Sephora and boldly declared, "hey ladies, i want to wear red lipstick, but don't think i can." the pretty ladies in black furrowed their brows at me, wagged their fingers, and collectively testified, "UH-UH! YES YOU CAN!"

they corralled me over to the heretofore avoided lipstick selection (as i am *ahem* was strictly a gloss type of girl) and handed me a glossy red with blue undertones and told me to put it on and try to ignore the customary oh-my-god-get-this-off-me-quick-getitoff!!!! reaction. you know, walk around for a few minutes, glance up every so often at the many strategically placed mirrors around the store.

i left the store, lipstick-in-bag.

i was too much of a coward to show off the new me saturday night when we went out on the town, but i vowed to have a little photoshoot with myself on sunday to usher in this metamorphosis and also to try out my new strobe diffuser box and off-camera flash sync cord in the process. and away we go.








i don't know what's crazier. the fact that i'm actually loving wearing this red lipstick, or the fact that i took these photos in my den using one off-camera strobe and some white posterboard for the backdrop and reflectors and they came out kind of great.

now i just need to make myself leave the house like this. i'm sure after several iterations of "red lips do not make me a hussy red lips do not make me a hussy", i'll find my way.



1 comments:

-Colleen said...

those pictures are amazing. the lighting, the clarity, the color, the subject matter. all of it. good job being bold and brave, red works on your lips. i wonder if your lips match any of the lips your grandmother sketched in her journal so many decades ago...