my dad is a righteous dad.
my diddy and his diddy before him.
i am the person that i am today in large part due to my father. he shares the spot at the top of my "List of People Who Have Most Influenced Who I Have Turned Out to Be (I Sure Hope I Made Them Proud)" with only my mother and brother. they best the competition by a large margin. in the spirit of Father's Day (this sunday, kids! don't forget!), i shall now formally bestow thanks for the following:
- teaching me how to take a compliment. there is grace in this.
- conveying the importance of proper grammar and how it is a powerful tool for making people take you seriously. most paramount - DO NOT END SENTENCES IN PREPOSITIONS.
- being raised in a musical house.
- working hard his whole life to provide for his family. especially the braces. thank you so much for the braces.
- leading by example.
- the careful, noninvasive judgment reserved for some UNworthy boyfriends. you were right, dad. thank you for letting me figure it out on my own though.
- indulging my lofty desires for dad-made goods.
- exhibit A: the awesome make-up organizer i asked him to craft for me last year. i'm all "hey dad, do you think you can make this?" and he's all "um i don't know don't expect too much" then BOOM! awesomely perfect awesomeness:
- exhibit B: this ADORABLE wooden whale that sits on my desk and holds pens and pencils and post-it notes and even my phone!!
- lastly, and perhaps most importantly, always being there. being present. a full-time father who built me up and let me know there was never a moment that my dad was not there to hold my hand, stand behind me, and support me.
in conclusion, thanks for being all-round awesome, dad, and HAPPY FATHER'S DAY!!!! i freakin' love you, ya dirty so-and-so!!